Close

History of Immanuel Lutheran Church

1874

  • The German Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church of Wentzville was organized November 7th. The Rev. Fredreich W.G. Matuschka of New Melle served the congregation.

1880

  • The Rev. Theodore Masse was installed as the first resident pastor.
  • Opened a Christian Day School.

1885

  • The Rev. P.E. Beil was installed as pastor and teacher.

1889

  • Immanuel Lutheran Church became a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

1890

  • Rev. A. Schupmann was installed as pastor and teacher.

1895

  • Rev. H.J. Mueller was installed as pastor and teacher.

1899

  • A new church building was dedicated on November 12th.

1900

  • A new parsonage and the first school building were dedicated.

1911

  • The Ladies Aid Society was organized October 20th.

1915

  • Rev. H.J. Mueller resigned due to ill health.
  • Rev. H.D. Mensing was installed as pastor and teacher.

1917

  • The second school building was dedicated August 12th.

1918

  • The first English service was conducted in February.
  • First Adult Bible Class was organized December 10th.

1919

  • A new pipe organ was dedicated.

1920

  • The Rev. A.E. Miessler was installed as pastor and teacher on October 20th.

1921

  • Electricity was installed in the church, school and parsonage in April. An electric blower was installed on the pipe organ.
  • Miss Selma Berkemeier became the first full time school teacher.

1922

  • The Walther League, church youth group, was organized February 22nd.

1931

  • The Sunday School was organized February 22nd.

1932

  • The first “Immanuel Bulletin” was printed.

1939

  • The newly erected “dining hall building“ was used the first time January 15th.

1947

  • The first commissioned teacher was installed, Mr. Herman Ansorge.

1952

  • On May 4th, two morning services were inaugurated at 8:00am and 10:30am.

1955

  • Kindergarten was started with Mrs. Selma Mueller as the first teacher.

1956

  • The classes in school were divided into two rooms, lower room grades 1-4 taught by Mrs. Delores Wirgau, the upper room grades 5-8 taught by Mr. Otto Wirgau.

1957

  • Rev. A. Miessler preached his farewell service on January 13th, after 36 years at Immanuel.
  • The Rev. William Gerike was installed on February 3rd.

1959

  • The hot lunch program was started in school with Mrs. Betty Doyle as first cook.

1963

  • The Rev. Jakob Heckert was installed on July 21st. He continued to serve the congregation until 1970.

1971

  • Rev. Francis Lieb was installed as pastor on July 18th, and served the congregation for three years.

1976

  • The Rev. Mark Mueller was installed as pastor on June 20th. He guided the congregation until 1979.

1982

  • The Rev. Lloyd Hackbarth was installed on August 29th as pastor.

1986

  • The annex to the church was dedicated.

1988

  • Rev. Warren Ruland was ordained and installed on September 11th as assistant pastor and principal.

1990

  • The Christian Activity Center (CAC) was dedicated in August.

1992

  • Mr. Duane Hingst, Executive Secretary, Missouri District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, presented a certificate of approval from the National Lutheran Schools Accreditation to Immanuel Lutheran School.

1994

  • Mr. Roy Bohning was installed as the first full-time principal on August 28th.

1995

  • The Day Care Center was opened in August.

1996

  • The Rev. Dwain Sliger was installed as associate pastor on December 1st.

1997

  • With major repair & the addition of new ranks of pipes, the pipe organ was rededicated on September 7th.

1998

  • The first Saturday evening service was held January 3rd. This gave us three services each weekend.

1999

  • The formation of our Education Wing Task Force in order to expand our Day School.

2000

  • The beginning of school construction and the addition of the Worship Task Force.

2001

  • Pastor Sliger installed as senior pastor after many faithful years of service by Pastor Hackbarth. Added 9:30am service on Sunday.
  • Lloyd Hackbarth served as interim principal for Immanuel Lutheran School.

2002

  • The founding of a Ministry Leadership Team to establish our Mission, Vision and Values which would guide our Ministry.
  • Rebecca Hoskins hired as full-time principal. Preschool enlarged from one classroom to three. First cheerleading program instituted. First Student Council instituted.

2003

  • Called Christa Stec, Lay Minister, to serve as Director of Music Ministry and expand our current worship. Also, began the P&BC for the expansion program. We partnered with DCA for the design phase of our new sanctuary.
  • Immanuel Lutheran Church joined the Lutheran High School of St. Charles County Association. First all-day Kindergarten began. Renovations to school playground were completed.
  • “Garden of Grace” dedicated (school/church inner courtyard).

2004

  • LIFEnite was initiated.
  • Added Rev. Jason Auringer to assist Pastor Sliger. Implemented Pastor Hackbarth to begin our Senior Ministry. In keeping with our Mission and Ministry, added a part-time Director of Christian Education and Director of Christian Outreach.

2005

  • Moved services to CAC to expand our worship ministry.
  • Seventeen acres donated for new sanctuary on Highway N.
  • Rev. Auringer installed as associate pastor.
  • Saturday evening service resumed July 16th in Immanuel Lutheran Heritage Church.

2006

  • Bryan Blackford called to replace retiring administrator

2007

  • Groundbreaking for new worship facility on Highway N.
  • Dan Stec installed as Director of Next Generation Ministries (Family Ministries).

2008

  • Actual construction begins on new worship facility.
  • Pastor Auringer installed as Senior Pastor.
  • Implementation of 10 yr strategic plan begins, focusing on Worship, Day-school, & Families.
  • Allison Dolak installed as school administrator.
  • Rev. Mark Sell added as pastoral assistant.
  • A new capital campaign, “Building: Character... Community... Commitment” launches.

2009

  • June 28th First worship service in new facility located on 17 acres on Hwy N; the new location includes over 50,000 square feet of classrooms and a 600 seat sanctuary.
  • Dedication Service on August 30 with Rev. Dr. Reed Lessing as guest preacher; nearly 500 attend service filled with music and praise; outdoor carnival attracted hundreds who enjoyed food, music, and games.

2010

  • Pearce campus is sold in March with the school moving to Hwy N location in June.

2011

  • Jill Kirk, daughter of longtime pastor, Rev. Lloyd Hackbarth, begins serving as Music Director in January.
  • June brings construction on the Multi-Purpose Building.
  • Pastor Liefer is installed as Associate Pastor on June 26.
  • November kickoff of “Uplifting”, a new capital campaign. Funds received go toward $35,000/month mortgage.

2012

  • The Multi-Purpose Building completes construction. The completed building features a high-school-sized gymnasium, full kitchen, and youth room/cafeteria.
  • Voters adopt a new constitution, restructuring Immanuel to operate under a Policy-Based Governance.

2014

  • Keith Pelster is hired as Business Manager.
  • Kirk Neugebauer is installed as Immanuel’s first-ever vicar.
  • Immanuel celebrates is 140th Anniversary with a community festival in the Multi-Purpose Building. The heritage bell is displayed and a time capsule is opened.